How to Get Rid of Acne
Acne, or Acne Vulgaris, is a common problem in teenagers. Moreover, adults aged 20-40 can also suffer from acne breakouts. The condition is characterized by slightly swollen, small red bumps on skin caused by clogged skin pores.
This basically happens when excess oil produced by overactive sebaceous glands block the skin pores along with accumulation of bacteria (P. acnes), dirt, and dead skin cells.
It may be triggered by a number of factors like hormonal changes, environmental pollution, high levels of humidity, application oil-based cosmetic products, stress, intake of certain medications (mood stabilizers, anti-convulsants, thyroid medications, systemic steroids, anabolic steroids, etc.), birth control pills, and so on.
Besides, it can be caused by a genetic predisposition. More often than not, acne breakouts appear on face and neck. However, they may also appear on the chest, shoulders, back, and even scalp.
Deep acne cysts tend to be more severe and are likely to leave behind scars. Thus, when dealing with severe acne, it is best to consult a dermatologist for proper treatment.
How to Get Rid of Acne
Though acne cannot be cured completely all of a sudden, still here are 9 ways to control and treat acne breakouts effectively.
- Ice Treatment
- Lemon Juice
- Baking Soda
- Essential Oils
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- Oral Contraceptives
- Steroid Injection
- Take some ice cubes or crushed ice and wrap it in a piece of clean cloth. Place this cloth on your acne for about 10 seconds and repeat this simple therapy after a few minutes for 5-6 times. It reduce the swelling and helps close the skin pores.
- Heat organic honey in microwave for about 20 seconds and apply it on your skin in circular motion. Leave for about 10 minutes before rinsing it out with lukewarm water. Apply this honey mask one or two times in a week. You may also some cinnamon powder in honey to eliminate acne.
- Lemon juice is considered highly effective in getting rid of acne and pimples. You simply need to apply the juice on the affected areas and wash it off after 15-20 minutes. If it causes stinging sensation then dilute lemon juice and water before applying.
- Take two cloves of garlic, crush them, and apply on your acne breakouts. After a few minutes, rinse the area and pat dry.
- Create a thick paste by mixing water in a teaspoon of baking soda. Apply it on the affected area and rinse off after a couple of minutes. Follow this procedure two times in a day. To increase the effectiveness of this remedy, you may use lemon juice instead of water.
- Essential oils like lavender oil, thyme oil, tea tree oil, lemongrass oil, bergamot oil, etc. have antibacterial properties. Hence, they help cure acne and close the pores. Clear your acne and blemishes with any of these oils for spot treatment. Make sure you dilute the oil before using it.
- Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most recommended remedies for acne and pimples because it kills Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) bacteria. So, apply a Benzoyl peroxide acne product on the affected area for a few weeks. Do not use it with other acne medications, though. Plus, this antimicrobial substance can cause dryness and skin peeling but the skin is likely to get used to it over time. In case your skin becomes uncomfortable dry and flaky then moisturize your skin after cleansing.
- Taking oral contraceptives is another popular acne treatment for women as they suppress the overactive sebaceous glands. Before following this cure, it is suggested to check with your gynecologist first. Besides, you can take antibiotics to fight bacteria. However, the bacteria tend to become resistant to certain antibiotics.
- In case you want to get rid of cystic acne soon (for instance, before a huge event) then you may consider going for a steroid injection. These intralesional corticosteroid injections, also known as steroid shots or cyst injections reduce inflammation and help flatten out zits within a week.
Tips to Prevent Acne
- It has been observed that a diet high in refined sugars may contribute in causing acne as they trigger increased hormonal activity to produce more insulin in order to lower the increased blood sugar levels. Thus, avoid taking foods like cookies, candies, doughnuts, processed foods and beverages as they are high in refined sugars. Experts have not found any link between greasy foods and acne, though. Chocolates, however, are associated with rosacea.
- Use oil-free and non-comedogenic cosmetic products as they are not likely to clog skin pores. Plus, as far as possible, avoid wearing makeup.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do wash the affected area two times in a day with a mild soap/cleanser and warm water.||Do not wash or scrub your face excessively.|
|Do wash your hands thoroughly before applying any cream, lotion, or homemade acne remedy.||Do not squeeze or pop active acne. In fact, do not touch your face every now and then as your hands may spread sweat, dirt, grime, and bacteria on the skin.|
|Do wash your pillow case regularly, at least twice a week. This is one of the most important yet ignored tip for reducing breakouts.||Do not use hair products that make your hair greasy as greasy hair around your face can worsen your acne, especially on the forehead.|
|Do drink sufficient water throughout the day and include a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. In fact, follow a blood purifying and cleansing diet.||When using acne medications, do not stay out in the sun for long because these medications tend to make the skin more sensitive to sunlight.|