How to Get Rid of Blotchy Skin
It could also be caused by the intake of certain types of medications. Uneven skin tone and red, blotchy skin can be attributed to pigmentation scars as well. They usually develop when acne and pimples heal.
More often than not, blotchy skin appears on the face and neck. Nevertheless, it can develop on other parts of the body too. Ladies tend to cover their blotchy skin cleverly with makeup but to get rid of the problem effectively, you need to determine its underlying cause.
How to Get Rid of Blotchy Skin
Here are 8 remedies to reduce blotchy skin.
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Vitamin E Oil
- Oatmeal Mask
- Green Tea
- Banana Face Mask
- Peach Face Mask
- Cucumber Juice and Lavender Oil
Aloe Vera Gel
- Dab pure aloe vera gel on blotchy skin.
- Rinse off after 10-15 minutes.
Vitamin E Oil
- Mix two drops of vitamin E oil with four drops of water.
- Apply it on your face and leave overnight.
- Cook two tablespoons of oatmeal in half a cup of milk.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil in this mixture.
- Let it cool.
- Apply this oatmeal mask on your face and neck, and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water, followed by a splash of cold water to close the pores.
Alternately, you can soothe skin irritation and blotches by applying a mixture of cooked oatmeal and organic honey.
- Apply a tablespoon of plain yogurt on your skin.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
Yogurt is excellent for blotchy skin caused by environmental factors, particularly sun damage. It reduces age spots as well. You can also combine yogurt with tomato by blending a quarter cup of yogurt along with half a tomato.
- Steep a green tea bag in half a cup of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag from the cup (you could use it on your eyes later to heal under eye circles and puffiness).
- Mix a tablespoon or two of rice flour in the solution to form a paste.
- Spread it on your face.
- Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Repeat this two to three times a week.
Apart from using it on your skin, you can also drink green tea, preferably iced. It shall help relieve red, blotchy skin due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Banana Face Mask
- Mash a ripe banana in a bowl.
- Mix in half a cup of olive oil/almond oil and an egg yolk, and half a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Spread liberally on your face.
- After 20-30 minutes, wash off with clean water.
This banana face mask is great for those with dry to normal skin.
Peach Face Mask
- Take two tablespoons of peach pulp (mashed with a folk or pureed in a blender).
- Add one teaspoon honey, one teaspoon lemon juice, and two teaspoons milk powder in it.
- Apply this paste on your face.
- Wash off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
This peach face mask is good for those with oily skin. If you do not have peach, use apricot.
Cucumber Juice and Lavender Oil
- Peel a cucumber and cut it into pieces.
- Puree these chunks in a blender for 30 seconds.
- Squeeze cucumber juice out of this puree.
- Mix one and a half tablespoon of lavender essential oil in a cup of cucumber juice.
- Apply it on your face and neck.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water after 10-15 minutes.
In addition, you can choose to use skin care products containing vitamin C, kojic acid, glycolic acid, and AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) to help even the skin tone. For severely blotchy and discolored skin, there are treatments like laser therapy and photorejuvenation (IPL or Intense Pulse Light treatment).
Tips to Prevent Blotchy Skin
- Protect your skin, especially the face, from the sun. Wear a good quality sunscreen (SPF 15 more) about 20 minutes before stepping out in the sun.
- Choose your skin-care and cosmetic products wisely as certain products can give rise to blotchy skin caused by irritant contact dermatitis.
- Avoid red, blotchy skin caused by food allergies by identifying such foods and eliminating them from your diet. Some of the most common foods that may trigger an allergic reaction include egg, fish, and tree nuts.
- Anxiety and stress have been known to cause blotchy skin in some individuals, particularly those who suffer from rosacea. If this is the case with you then you need to learn to manage stress. Deep breathing exercises are considered good for relaxation.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do exfoliate your skin on a regular basis to remove the dead skin cells.||After taking a bath, do not rub your skin vigorously with the towel; instead, just pat it dry to avoid redness and irritation.|
|Do prefer to use mineral-based makeup to create an even skin tone.||Do not use alcohol-based skin care products.|