How to Get Rid of Pimples
Pimples appear as red, inflamed spots on your skin. The cause is usually excess oil on your skin that combines with dead skin cells, perspiration, germs, and dirt, clogging your skin’s pores, and resulting in annoying, sometimes infected, unsightly pimples.
Infected pimples contain pus and are more likely to leave behind scars.
Pimples commonly appear on the face, neck, shoulders and back, but they can appear on other parts of the body as well.
The most common causes of acne are overactive sebaceous glands, hormonal imbalances, hereditary factors, stress, etc.
In addition, factors like poor diet and nutritional deficiencies also promote acne. It has been observed that individuals with low levels of vitamin A and vitamin E are more susceptible to this problem.
- 1 How to get rid of a pimple
- 2 Tips to Prevent Pimples
- 3 Dos and Don’ts
How to get rid of a pimple
Here are 12 pimple-busting techniques.
- Mint-Based Toothpaste
- Over-the-Counter Benzoyl Peroxide Cream
- Uncoated Aspirin Paste
- Baking Soda
- Raw Garlic
- Lemon Juice and Honey
- Cinnamon and Honey
- Egg on Your Face
- Oral Contraceptives
- Tea Tree Oil, Vitamin E and Aloe
- Wrap an ice cube in a paper towel or clean washcloth.
- Hold this on your pimples for a few seconds to shrink inflammation.
- Dab a little mint-based toothpaste (not gel) on the affected area.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with clean water.
- For serious issues, leave on overnight and wash off in the morning.
This is perhaps one of the simplest and most popular home treatments for shrinking or drying out pimples.
Over-the-Counter Benzoyl Peroxide Cream
- Apply this cream on your pimples, according to product instructions.
- Follow up with a face moisturizer so that your skin does not become dry.
Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria and works as a skin peeling agent. You can try a topical retinoid as well.
- Take 2-3 uncoated aspirin pills and put a few drops of water on them.
- Mix to form a paste.
- Coat your pimples with this paste with the help of a Q-tip or your own fingers (should be clean!).
- Rinse it off after 10-15 minutes.
- Apply two to three times per week.
Aspirin contains salicylic acid, which is used in several acne creams. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory properties.Those who have sensitive skin though, may wish avoid this aspirin treatment.
- Mix some water in a tablespoon of baking soda to create a pasty mixture.
- Apply it to your face.
- Rinse it off after 20 minutes.
- Follow this simple treat twice a week for a few weeks.
- Soak a few drops of Visine eye drops on a cotton swab.
- Apply it to the affected area.
- Hold in place for one minute.
This reduces the redness of an “angry” red pimple.
- Slice a garlic clove in half.
- Rub the raw garlic on the pimple for a few seconds.
Taking garlic internally is also helpful in healing pimples effectively.
Lemon Juice and Honey
- Combine equal amounts lemon juice and honey.
- Apply to pimples.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with clean water.
This kills acne bacteria and fights inflammation.
*This remedy may not be suitable for those with dark skin as lemon juice stimulates melanocytes and tends to make dark skin even darker, especially when exposed to sunlight.
Cinnamon and Honey
- Add one teaspoon of ground cinnamon to three tablespoons of honey to form a paste.
- Spread this mixture on your pimples and leave it overnight.
- Wash it off in the morning with lukewarm water.
- Use this healing face mask daily, at least for a couple of weeks.
Egg on Your Face
- Mix two to three egg whites in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in this fluid.
- Apply it on the affected areas to dry up pimples and fade blemishes.
Taking oral contraceptives at least for a few months can help clear up acne and pimples caused by hormonal changes.This is particularly good for women suffering from Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
Make sure you consult your doctor before following this remedy as certain formulations can actually worsen your acne.
Tea Tree, Vitamin E and Aloe
- Combine equal amounts of tea tree oil, vitamin E oil, and aloe gel.
- Apply to the affected area.
- Leave on overnight.
This helps reduce the growth of new pimples.
- Boil water and place in a bowl.
- Allow it to cool until it is bearable on your skin. It should not burn.
- Cover your head with a towel and place over the bowl.
- Keep in place for at least a minute, longer is better.
- Your pores are now open. Cleanse your face properly.
- Finish with a rinse of cool, clean water to close your pores.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
This helps to cleanse your pores.
Tips to Prevent Pimples
- The best way to prevent pimples and acne on your skin is to learn the exact cause leading to the outbreaks. For instance, pimples are commonly caused by greasy skin. Therefore, it makes sense to remove excess oil from your skin. You can use a natural clay mask once a week for this purpose.
- Though not yet proven, it is believed that rich foods in your diet can contribute to pimples. Basically, processed foods and foods high in saturated fats contribute to skin inflammation. Stay away from junk food and consume delicious fresh fruits for better skin and overall health.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do wash your skin about two times in a day with a gentle cleanser to remove dirt and excess oil. However, do not clean your skin too much because the skin requires a minimum level of natural sebum for lubrication. Furthermore, cleaning the skin too often may cause your skin to produce more oil.||Do not scrub your skin with a towel after washing; just pat it dry.|
|Do cleanse, exfoliate, and moisturize your skin regularly.||Do not pop or squeeze active pimples.|
|Do drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and flush out toxins. In addition avoid excessive intake of caffeinated beverages; caffeine causes dehydration and increases inflammation.||Do not quit an acne treatment before two months (unless you have a bad reaction); give it time to work.|
|Do keep your hair (oily hair, in particular) out of your face to avoid pimples on your forehead. In addition, avoid touching your face with your hands as this habit can spread bacteria and lead to pimples.|
|Do wash your towels and pillowcases frequently.|
|Do opt for oil-free and water-based cosmetics. It is best to avoid wearing makeup during a breakout.|
|Do use an oil-free sunblock when going out in the sun; sunburn makes pimples worse.|