How to Get Rid of Unwanted Facial Hair
It is believed that almost 5-10% women tend to have excessive facial hair, yet this issue is considered as a taboo. Thus, it causes great distress and embarrassment in women.
Women typically have sparse facial hair as compared to men. After all, humans have hair almost everywhere on the body except the nails and eyeballs.
Abnormal facial hair growth, however, is referred to as Hirsutism. It can be caused by increased levels of testosterone and other androgens.
This can happen due to menopause, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Cushing’s Syndrome, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, etc. Besides, hereditary factors may make one susceptible to unusual hair growth on the face.
You can adopt some safe and effective methods to get rid of facial hair. When caused by an underlying medical condition, though, make sure you get it treated properly to eliminate the root cause.
How to Get Rid of Facial Hair
Given below are 8 ways to banish your facial hair.
- Homemade Egg White Hair Removal Mask
- Honey and Lemon Juice Mask
- Chickpea Flour
- Green Gram Flour
- Orange Peel Powder
- Threading, Plucking, Waxing
- Cosmetic Treatments
- Prepare a paste of one egg white, one tablespoon of sugar and half a tablespoon of corn flour. Spread this recipe on your face and allow it to dry and then pull it off to remove unwanted facial hair. Home remedies like this are safe to use on your face but need to be used on a regular basis, almost two to three times in a week.
- Take one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice. Mix half a cup of water in it. If it does not mix well, then you may heat it in the microwave. Finally massage this sticky mixture on your face in the direction of hair growth.
- Sugaring is another natural method for hair removal. For this, you need to boil a quarter cup of water mixed with two cups of sugar and add a quarter cup of lemon juice. Before spreading the mixture on your face, dust a little corn flour on skin. Finally, remove it with the help of a few strips of cloth in opposite direction of hair growth.
- Mix one tablespoon of milk cream, half a tablespoon of milk, and a quarter tablespoon of turmeric in two tablespoons of chickpea flour also known as gram flour (besan). Apply this thick paste on your face and leave for about 20 minutes. Scrub it off when it dries with the help of a cloth dipped in warm water or a facial loofah pad. Besides, you can combine a quarter cup of gram flour with an equal amount of honey and one cup of water.
- Add one and a half tablespoon of rose water and one teaspoon of lemon juice in two tablespoons of green gram flour. Smear this paste on your face and scrub it off after 20-25 minutes when it dries completely. Apart from reducing facial hair, it shall help make your skin soft, youthful, and radiant.
- This organic face mask helps lighten facial hair. To prepare this exfoliating mask, mix a teaspoon of lemon juice in half a cup of dried orange peel powder. Apply it on your face and remove the mask after 15-20 minutes. Both the ingredients have natural bleaching properties. Moreover, they help reduce fine lines, wrinkles, acne, and blemishes. You can also bleach your facial hair by rubbing tomato pulp on your skin.
- Some other inexpensive yet useful methods for hair removal from the face include plucking the hair out with tweezers or coil, threading, and waxing. Threading, in particular is quite popular for getting rid of facial hair. This Middle Eastern technique for natural hair removal involves the use of a cotton threat manipulated to twist around the hair to pull them out from the root. This method is faster than tweezing. Facial waxing, too, can help remove unwanted hair on the face. On the downside, it may not be suitable for sensitive skin. Plus, it can lead to ingrown hair. Unlike threading which can be used on tiny and fine hair (1/16 inch), waxing cannot be done on hair less an a quarter inch in length. Besides, you can use an epilator for facial hair to pull out the hairs by roots. Some women also use depilatory creams or even shave their facial hair. These methods, however, may irritate the skin and are likely to give rise to re-growth with slight stubble.
- Cosmetic treatments like laser therapy, IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), and electrolysis are effective in eliminating facial hair. These treatments are costly and take a lot of time. Furthermore, make sure you get the treatment done by a qualified professional.
Tips to Prevent Facial Hair
- Do not ignore the underlying cause of your excessive hair growth on your face and other sites on the body. If left untreated, the condition may aggravate and worsen.
- Frequent use of methods like threading and waxing can impede hair growth by causing damage to the hair follicles.
Dos and Don’ts
|When opting for cosmetic treatments, such as laser hair removal, do thorough research beforehand and ask the clinic about the side effects.||Do not opt for laser hair removal if you have blonde or white hair as it responds to dark pigmented hair.|
|Do prevent ingrown hair while removing your hair by exfoliating your skin before and after waxing. Plus, moisturize your skin after the procedure.||Do not use methods like threading and waxing yourself unless you know the procedure well.|
|Do use make-up tips like using a concealer or tinted moisturizer followed by loose powder to cover up embarrassing facial hair.||Do not expect immediate results from natural remedies using homemade recipes for hair removal.|