How to Get Rid of Cellulite
Cellulite is caused by a combination of genetic as well as lifestyle factors. Basically, it gives a dimpled effect on skin due to the presence of fat beneath the skin.
It happens when fat pushes up through the connective tissues. Consequently, they start bulging and pressing against the skin, thereby causing a rippled and uneven appearance.
Due to its appearance, cellulite is also referred to as cottage cheese skin, orange peel syndrome, and the mattress phenomenon.
It is more common in women than men because of different organization of their body fat and structure of the connective tissues.
To be more specific, the connective tissues appear in a criss-cross pattern in males and in a vertical, mattress springs-like pattern in women.
More often than not, cellulite develops in areas like the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, that is, areas containing deep layers of fat for reserve. However, it can develop in other areas like breasts and upper arms, too. Furthermore, it appears worse during old age as the skin tends to become thinner with increasing age.
Contrary to the popular misconception, cellulite is common in overweight as well as thin people. In fact, it is believed that about 95% of postpubertal women tend to develop cellulite at least to some extent
Thus, if you are having this problem, it does not necessarily mean that you are overweight, especially if you have a localized, ‘spongey’ cellulite which contains more fluids than fats.
Cellulite can be caused by a variety of factors such as hormonal factors (estrogen, insulin, prolactin, adrenaline, noradrenaline, thyroid hormones, etc.), genetics, excess body fat, excessive dieting, changes in metabolism, stress, alteration of the connective tissue structure, microcirculation impairment, and so on. The exact cause of cellulite, however, is not well understood as yet.
How to Get Rid of Cellulite
It is believed that tanning tends to make your cellulite appear less noticeable. However, when the tan fades, it makes your cellulite worse.
Moreover, there are certain surgical and machine treatments for cellulite that are neither safe nor effective. So, here are 7 tips and tricks to help you reduce cellulite safely.
- Body Brushing
- Homemade Coffee Body Wrap
- Lemon and Honey Cellulite Body Wrap
- Cellulite Reducing Baths
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Laser Treatment
- Massaging boosts the circulatory and lymphatic system. Thus, you can try a cellulite reduction massage by way of finger kneading and hand kneading. Besides, you can go for the knuckle massage with your fists to help break up the fat deposits. Make sure you end the massage with heavy strokes moving upwards.
- Brushing and massaging the skin with a soft brush can help improve circulation, boost lymph drainage, and hence, heal cellulite. You can do this dry brushing before taking your shower, about three times in a week. Apart from improving cellulite, dry brushing shall also slough off dry skin and open up the pores.However, if you have dry, sensitive skin, then you may use the brush during your bath or shower. Consider using a medium-stiff shower brush for this purpose. It is suggested to use gentle, upward (towards the heart), circular movements rather than harsh strokes as they can break the blood vessels.
- Make a homemade body wrap for cellulite treatment by mixing a little extra virgin olive oil in half a cup of ground coffee and heating the mixture in a microwave for about 20 seconds. Spread this recipe on the affected areas and then wrap a plastic wrap around it.To make this remedy more effective, you may put moist seaweed strips and wrap with a cellophane sheet instead of the plastic wrap. After 20-30 minutes, remove the wrap and rinse the area with warm water. Simply massaging the area with warm coffee grounds left behind after brewing coffee is also useful.
- Another similar method involves using a combination of the juice of half a lemon, two tablespoons of salt (preferably, sea salt), and five tablespoons of honey. You may add also grate the lemon rind and add it in the recipe. Leave this mixture on the affected area for about 15-20 minutes before washing it off. Make sure you exfoliate your skin before applying body wraps.
- Take a cellulite reducing mineral salt bath to eliminate cellulite and fat deposits from your body. For instance, you can add about two cups of sea salt in bath tub filled with warm water and soak in it for about 20 minutes. After the bath, you may wrap yourself in thick layers of clothing for the next half an hour to sweat out toxins. Besides, you can take a detoxifying seaweed bath once a week.
- Ginkgo Biloba is a wonderful medicinal herb that improves blood circulation, stimulates the metabolism, and burns fat. Hence, it aids in natural treatment for cellulite. So, you can take dried ginkgo biloba extract. Herbs like sweet clover and Indian chestnut are also considered beneficial in this regard.
- Use of laser and unipolar radiofrequency treatments are also gaining popularity for getting rid of cellulite. The latter may be combined with tissue massage, too. Before opting for these serious therapies though, it is recommended to do a thorough research and consider the pros and cons beforehand.
Tips to Prevent Cellulite
- Cellulite can be caused by a number of factors. Nevertheless, reducing fat content in the cells shall help a great deal in preventing or at least reducing the appearance of cellulite. Thus, take a healthy and well balanced diet.Preferably, include more bright-colored, antioxidant-rich foods in your diet as antioxidants help improve micro-circulation. In addition, foods rich in essential fatty acids (for example, nuts and seeds) strengthen the connective tissues.
- Engage in physical activity and exercise regularly. Try running, cycling, etc. or opt for intense cardio workouts. You can learn some cellulite-reducing exercises from here.
- Fluid retention as well as dehydration make cellulite appear worse. Thus, it is suggested to avoid both the conditions.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do cut down on toxins in your diet that come from smoking and intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages & highly processed foods that come in packages.||Do not go for yo-yo dieting.|
|Do watch your weight.||Do not wear tight clothes as they restrict circulation.|
|Do limit your consumption of sugar and salt; they promote fluid retention.|
|While exercising to reduce excess weight and cellulite, do combine aerobic exercises with strength training.|