How to Get Rid of Dark Underarms
Nevertheless, you can get rid of this problem with some easy remedies. These remedies are effective, affordable, and safe but need to be followed on a regular basis to get encouraging results.
Besides, when dealing with dark underarms, you also need to be aware of the underlying reasons causing this problem.
More often than not, it is caused by factors like use of hair removal creams, shaving, buildup of dead skin, excessive sweating, fungal and bacterial infections, harsh chemicals in deodorants and antiperspirants, etc.
At times, hormonal fluctuations, taking androgen based contraceptives, certain medications, and conditions like Addison’s disease, liver disease, and so on may cause dark spots.
Furthermore, dark underarms with serious undertones can be due to acanthosis nigricanis, which in turn, is a symptom of type-2 diabetes. Apart from the armpits, it leads to hyperpigmentation at the back of the neck as well as groin.
Basically, it happens when the high quantities of insulin in blood reaches the pigment creating cells and stimulates the production of melanin, which tends to darken when exposed to the sun. Obese and dark skinned individuals are also susceptible to this hyperpigmentation.
How to Get Rid of Dark Underarms
Given below are 9 natural solutions for dark underarms.
- Citrus Juices
- Baking Soda
- Sandalwood Powder
- Coconut Oil
- Vitamin E Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Papaya Pulp
- Gram Flour
- Simply rubbing a slice of lemon gently on the underarms for 10-15 minutes can lighten the skin color naturally. If it irritates the skin, you may apply a moisturizing lotion afterwards. Moreover, you can use other citrus juices like tomato juice, cucumber juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, and so on as natural bleaching agents. You can also use a combination of lemon juice, cucumber juice, and a little turmeric powder to lighten dark skin. Potato juice and aloe vera gel, too, have skin whitening properties.
- Scrubbing the underarm region with a thick paste of a tablespoon of baking soda and a little water is useful in removing dead skin and promoting skin lightening. Besides, you can use baking soda in combination with lemon juice or white vinegar for skin lightening. Do not leave it on skin for long, though.
- Sandalwood powder is excellent for skin because of its beauty benefits. It facilitates glowing skin, reduces pimples, and control greasiness. In addition, it has antimicrobial properties. So, you can use a paste formed by combining sandalwood powder with milk (for dry skin) or rose water (for oily skin) to get rid of dark armpits.
- Regularly applying organic coconut oil on the underarms can help diminish darks spots and hyperpigmentation. It also nourishes and moisturizes your skin. To increase the effectiveness of this remedy, you can add half a teaspoon of lemon juice in a teaspoon of coconut oil and then apply. You may apply sweet almond oil as well.
- Vitamin E oil also facilitates skin whitening. Hence, you can massage the oil on the underarm area to fade dark skin. If you have vitamin E capsules, you can simply puncture a capsule and squeeze its contents on the skin.
- Mix sufficient apple cider vinegar in rice flour to make a thick paste. Apply this paste on dark underarms and wash it off with warm water after 10-15 minutes. Apart from eliminating skin discoloration, it shall also help fight germs and body odor.
- Papaya pulp is highly beneficial in getting rid of skin discoloration and blemishes. Make a thick paste by mixing one tablespoon each of papaya pulp, lemon, and a teaspoon of pure honey. Smear the paste on the affected area and rinse it off after 15 minutes.
- Prepare a homemade skin whitening recipe by adding one teaspoon each of lemon juice, yogurt, and a pinch of turmeric in gram flour to make a face pack. Apply it on your face for about half an hour before rinsing it off. Follow this remedy at least three times in a day for a few weeks.
- Combine one tablespoon each of raw milk, plain yogurt, and gram flour. Spread this paste on your skin and leave it for about 15-20 minutes to lighten dark underarms. The lactic acid in milk and yogurt helps eliminate the discoloration. In addition, it shall make your skin soft and smooth.
Tips to Prevent Dark Underarms
- Opt for waxing rather than shaving the underarms as shaving does not remove the hair from its root. Thus, the thick, stubble-like hairs give the impression of dark underarms. Plus, avoid using hair removing creams as the chemicals present in these formulas cause skin discoloration. If you still need to use a hair removing cream, then use a fuller’s earth mudpack within the next few days so as to absorb the chemicals.
- As dark underarms can be caused by harsh ingredients found in deodorants, you may consider dumping your deodorant and switching to alum powder (potassium alum) as a natural deodorant. In addition, applying alum on the underarms about three times in a day for at least 20 minutes each, helps lighten the skin tone.
- Another tip to prevent dark underarms caused by antiperspirants is to use fungal powders instead of antiperspirants.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do use a loofah or soft scrub to exfoliate the underarm area almost once or twice a week.||Do not spray deodorants directly on the skin; keep a distance of about 6 cm while spraying.|
|Do wear clothes prepared from skin-friendly fabrics like cotton so as to avoid friction due to clothes rubbing against sweaty skin.||Do not wear tight clothing.|
|If you are overweight, do try to reduce weight as flabby arms tend to rub against the skin and lead to dark underarms.|