How to Get Rid of Yellow Teeth
Furthermore, it is widely known that smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco products leads to staining and discoloration of teeth.
In addition, factors like poor dental hygiene, excessive fluoride, dental trauma, root canal procedure, increasing age (normal wear and tear of the enamel), genetic predisposition (thin, translucent enamel revealing the natural yellow color of dentin)), overuse of mouthwashes containing containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride, etc. may cause the same.
Consumption of certain foods such as citrus fruits, beets, curry, tomato sauce, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, popsicles, and beverages like colas and even sports drinks that have a high acid content contribute in causing yellow this.
Besides, yellow or brown spots on teeth may be a symptom of an underlying condition like celiac disease, especially in children.
Intake of certain medications like antipsychotic drugs, antihistamines, antihypertensives, and some antibiotics can cause teeth discoloration. Chemotherapy sessions for head or neck cancers can also cause yellow teeth.
How to Get Rid of Yellow Teeth
Here are 8 ways to reduce teeth discoloration and help your pearly whites dazzle.
- Baking Soda
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Chewing Gums with Xylitol
- Orange Peel
- Kaolin Clay
- Oil Pulling
- Professional Tooth Whitening
- Prepare a paste of half a teaspoon baking soda, half a teaspoon table salt, and a little water. Scrub this paste on your teeth as natural toothpaste to reduce the yellow discoloration on your teeth by getting rid of the stains. Follow this remedy about once or twice weekly. Besides, you can brush your teeth occasionally with a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice. Do not rely heavily on baking soda, though as it can damage the enamel over a period of time.
- Mix together one teaspoon each of 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and sufficient water to form a paste. Use this mixture a couple of times in a week instead of your regular toothpaste to get rid of yellow teeth and brighten your smile. Besides, you can create a homemade teeth whitening mouthwash by mixing equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide and water. You can also use peroxide-based tooth whitening strips.
- Strawberries have been known to possess tooth whitening properties as it contains malic acid that works as natural bleach. So, eat strawberries to whiten your teeth safely and naturally. In addition, you can blend a strawberry in a blender to get a paste and rub it on your teeth. Rinse it off, and preferably, brush your teeth with a toothbrush to remove the fruit from your teeth because it contains sugars and acids. Eating spinach, broccoli and other dark green vegetables are also beneficial for yellow teeth as the minerals present in these foods form a film on the teeth that prevent staining.
- Xylitol is a type of sugar alcohol which is used as a sugar substitute. It neutralizes the pH in your mouth and fights tooth decay. Moreover, chewing gum stimulates saliva which itself contains certain components that avoid tooth discoloration and cavities. Thus, you can have sugar-free chewing gums containing xylitol.
- Scrub the inside of an orange peel or lemon peel on yellow teeth daily for at least a week to reduce the discoloration. The peels of these citrus fruits have bleaching properties. In addition, you can rub orange juice mixed with a little common salt.
- Kaolin clay, also known as white clay or white dirt, works as a natural teeth whitening agent. Just dampen your toothbrush, dip it in this clay and brush your teeth. Use this method once a week. Do not overdo it.
- You can get sparkling white teeth and eliminate the yellow stains through an easy Ayurvedic therapy called oil pulling. To follow this therapy, you need to swish a teaspoon of oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes until it becomes foamy and then spit it out (do not gargle or swallow). Finally, rinse your mouth a few times and brush your teeth. You are required to use unrefined cold pressed oil such as sunflower oil for this purpose. You may also use sesame oil, coconut oil, or olive oil. Apart from cleaning your mouth, oil pulling stimulates the immune system and detoxifies your body.
- Severely stained and discolored teeth can be treated with professional tooth whitening procedures like laser teeth whitening, professional bleaching, etc. Besides, dental veneers can help enhance the appearance of your teeth. Before going for any of these options though, make sure you research there pros and cons carefully. Certain stains, for example, are resistant to in-office whitening.
Tips to Prevent Yellow Teeth
- Follow a good oral care routine by brushing and flossing your teeth daily. Plus, rinse your mouth after every taking a meal or even a beverage. Adopt proper brushing and flossing techniques. Check out this video explaining how to brush and floss your teeth properly.
- Cut back on smoking and limit your intake of tea, coffee, and other staining foods and beverages. On the other hand, drink plenty of water. In fact, when you drink water after eating something, especially a stain-causing food, swish the water in your mouth before swallowing it.
- Consume dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese as they contain calcium and phosphorus that help maintain healthy teeth and bones. Furthermore, a type of protein called casein present in these items strengthens the tooth enamel. Cheese, in particular, avoids tooth decay and facilitates in enamel re-mineralization.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do eat crunchy fruits and vegetables such as celery stalks, carrots, cucumbers, apples, etc. as they can help lift the stains by stimulating saliva and neutralizing acids from other foods. Chewing these foods can refresh your breath, too.||Do not brush too hard or use abrasive toothpastes as they can wear the enamel thin by scrubbing away the surface of the teeth. Thus, the second layer of dentin which is typically yellow in color becomes more visible through the thin enamel.|
|Do prefer to drink pigmented beverages through a straw to avoid staining the teeth. Drinking through straws, however, can lead to burping and intestinal gas because it makes you swallow excess air.||Do not swish colas and other carbonated beverages in your mouth before gulping them down.|
|Do replace your toothbrush every three to four months and visit your dentist regularly.||Do not expect teeth whitening products to whiten the dentin layer.|