How to Remove Pet Odor from Rugs
While trying to potty train a pet or dealing with a pet with behavior or urine issues, then this article might be of great help for you. Often accidents can happen with pet and your pet may urinate on your rugs or carpet and you need to work on removing the odor before your house begins to stink.
Pets are like family member but keeping a pet in the house has some negative points also. For instance, even though a pet that has been trained to use a litter box may accidently relieve itself on your rugs and carpet. The odor of pet urine is one of the strongest and most unpleasant smells ever.
|In This Article:|
Tips to remove pet odors
Anyone with a pet or pets at some point of time may have to deal with removing pet odor from rugs and carpet. However, removing pet odors from carpet is easy if you follow these tips and instructions. There are several techniques that you can use to get rid of the unpleasant smell, such as:
Here are few tips to remove pet odor from rugs.
- The best way to eliminate odors is to clean up messes as soon as they happen. Never ignore the odor or else it will be very difficult to remove them later on. Just after your pet urinates on your rug, simply take an absorbent cloth and put it on the rug. This way the cloth will soak up all of the liquid and there will be fewer odors.
- Next you need to take some water and blotch the affected area properly. This will minimize the odor to a great extent. Take the time and care to be certain that proper cleaning is being done.
- After this, you need to further clean the area with the help of a pet odor removal cleaner. You can buy a pet odor removal from the market. See the instructions written on the product properly and follow it step by step. Usually with the help a pet odor removal you can remove the odor from your rug in a very quick and easy manner. Whenever you are using any odor removal product, it is extremely important to follow proper cleaning methods to ensure that your rugs and carpets remain safe. Never use a product that does not specifically state that it is safe for fabrics.
- Finally, along with cleaning, teach your pet where you want him to eliminate so that next time your pet does not ruin your rug and you do not have to work on removing the odor. The re-training period may take a week or more. Remember, it took time to build the bad habit, and it will take time to replace that habit with a new, more acceptable behavior.
- Once in a week or so, sprinkle a deodorizing powder on your carpet. This will help to keep your carpet smelling fresh.
- You can also use an electric air purifier. Such an equipment will help to remove pet odors still lingering in the air and will keep your house smelling fresh.
When you have to tackle with pet odors, just work quickly and use these easy to do tips and soon you will have fresh smelling rugs and carpet. For more such easy tips, check www.humanesociety.org.
Things to avoid
- For removing pet odor soap and water is not enough. Soap and water may remove any stain but in no way it will remove the odor.
- Never use any kind of deodorant in order to simply mask the smell as it can create an even worse odor after several attempts.
- Don’t use acid-based products to clean your carpet, a pet may mistake this scent for the smell of its own urine and continue to use your carpet as the bathroom.
- Avoid using steam cleaners or strong chemicals. This is because the heat will cause the protein to bond to the carpet’s fibers and will make pet odors worse.
- Do not use chemicals such as ammonia to get rid of pet odor as it will give an unpleasant odor of their own. Also the spot will become more attractive for your pet to relieve itself in the future.
- Avoid walking on the rugs and carpet ruined by your pet for about a day until it is completely dry. You can place a fan nearby to dry the carpet as quickly as possible.
- It is better to avoid using commercial air fresheners as such products are full of toxic chemicals that can cause health problems.
Remove pet odors with inexpensive natural ingredients
There are some simple, inexpensive and natural ways to fight pet odor coming from your rugs and carpet.
- You can put washable rugs and carpet in your washing machine and wash it by using your normal detergent plus a cup of vinegar. After washing the rugs and carpet put them in the sun and the odor will vanish soon.
- You can always use water to remove pet odors from rugs and carpet. Water is very effective as well as healthier options as compared to chemically enriched cleaning compounds. You can use water to clean the area and get rid of the unpleasant odor.
- Also, you can spot clean the area using a solution of fifty percent white vinegar and fifty percent water. Use a liberal amount of this solution on the affected rug area and use a scrubbing brush to make sure the solution penetrates deep down the fibers. Last, blot the wet area of the rug with a towel.
- For removing pet odors from rugs and carpets as well, you can use baking soda. All that you need to do is sprinkle some on the spot on the rug. Allow the soda to remain on the rug overnight and then all that you need to do is vacuum it up and the smell is gone! This is a very affordable way to deal with pet odors.
- Another option is to make a solution by mixing one forth cup of white vinegar, half teaspoon of liquid dish washing detergent and two cups of warm water in a small bucket. Put this solution on the affected area and gently scrub it with a soft bristle brush. Finally vacuum clean the rugs and carpet and allow it to dry properly before using it again.
- You can also put a pot of vinegar simmer on the stove for a few hours. The neutralizing and deodorizing properties of vinegar will easily remove the impurities from the air and will replace it with a nice smell.
- For stronger smells, you can add some water to corn starch to make a thick paste. Then apply the paste on the affected area and allow it to dry before applying the vacuum.
- You can use citrus essential oil to remove bad odor from your carpet. For this you need to mix a few drops of a citrus essential oil with baking soda. Now sprinkle this solution on the carpet and soon the odor will vanish leaving behind a nice smell.
In case if there is still odor coming from your rugs after trying the tips listed above, you should consider hiring a professional carpet cleaning company.