How to Get Rid of Foot Odor
Everyone is familiar with the smell of stinky feet and most of do not like it. There are many people who suffer from bad foot odor may feel embarrassed to take their shoes off around others. Foot odor is a kind of embarrassing condition but there are many simple ways to get rid of it.
|In This Article:|
Main causes behind foot odor
Foot odor can be very embarrassing for the person suffering from it and equally challenging to treat it. But before looking for the treatment options, it is important to understand the common causes of this condition.
Here are some of the most common causes of foot odor:
Excessive sweat: The main cause of smelly feet is sweat. Each foot has 250,000 sweat glands that cause sweating. Although sweat is odorless, it creates the perfect breeding environment for odor producing bacteria which enjoys warm, moist environments. When bacteria are present on your feet it causes the offensive foot odor.
Lack of ventilation: Improper ventilation can also be the reason behind foot odor. Without proper ventilation, the sweat present on the foot cannot evaporate in a proper manner, which leads to the development of certain acids known to cause foot odor.
Fungal Infection: Any kind of fungal infection that affects the toe nails can also be the reason behind excessive foot odor. Fungal infection can even cause discoloration in the appearance of the toe nails.
Anxiety and nervousness: When a person suffers from anxiety and nervousness, it causes excessive sweating. Due to this the person can suffer from long lasting odors and irritation of the skin.
To know more about the causes of foot odor, check this website pedilux4.com
Tips to get rid of foot odor
The form of treatment option that you can choose to get rid of foot odor will basically depend upon the cause of the odor. Irrespective of the cause, you need to work on reducing sweat and providing ventilation to your feet in order to solve the problem of foot odor. Luckily there are many simple and easy things that you can do to eliminate the smelly odor from your feet and shoes.
Here are some simple tips to prevent foot odor:
- Expose your feet to natural air from time to time. This will help to keep them dry. Never forget that too much sweat and moisture on your feet can be the only reason behind the smell. So, whenever you get the chance remove your shoes and socks so that your feet can enjoy some fresh air.
- Wear cotton or woolen socks as these materials help to absorb more perspiration and hence they will help to keep your feet dry. Cotton and woolen socks are must for those who need to wear socks and shoes all throughout the day.
- Try to wear canvass or leather shoes as these natural materials will allow your feet to breathe. Stay away from plastic or rubber shoes if your feet sweat too much. The problem of foot odor will be automatically solved when you wearing shoes that allow your feet to breathe instead of those that hold the moisture in.
- Do not make the mistake of wearing the same pair of shoes daily. Change your shoes daily so that it gets enough air. This is why it is essential to keep three to four pairs of good quality shoes. When not in use, keep your shoes in an airy place for several hours before wearing them again.
- Make sure you wear clean and fresh socks all the time. Change them every day, and every time you launder them, use antibacterial detergent.
- Always wear socks with your shoes. Wearing shoes without socks causes them to retain their sweat which increases the chance of getting smelly feet. Those women who do not like to wear socks can opt for open-toed shoes and sandals for maximum aeration of the foot.
- You can also use an over-the-counter foot deodorizer to reduce the amount of smell coming from your feet. You can apply a good quality foot deodorizer to your feet before wearing your shoes and socks. Instead of an over-the-counter foot deodorizer, you can also use the deodorant that you wear under your arms and apply it to your feet.
- You also need to keep a close eye on your diet as many a times the problem of foot odor can be due to the consumption of certain food items. For intake, consumption of too much garlic and onion can cause food odor as well as body odor.
- Zinc deficiency can also cause foot odor. So it is very essential to include zinc enriched food items in your diet plan. You can also take zinc supplements after consulting a doctor.
- Wash your feet with anti-bacterial soap twice daily. It is very important to keep your feet clean to keep the problem of foot odor under control. Thoroughly clean your feet with anti-bacterial soap, Scrub between the toes and under the soles and then rinse with cold water and finally pat dry it properly.
- It is very essential to determine what causes you to sweat in order to take care of the problem of smelly feet. For instance if you sweat due to stress, then you need to do some relaxation techniques to control your stress level. Once you become successful in controlling your stress, the problem of foot odor will automatically get resolved.
- You can also give your foot a nice massage before going to bed. This will improve the blood circulation and to some extent the problem of smelly feet will be solved.
Check this video for such treatment options:
Natural ways to solve the problem of foot odor
There are many simple and easy natural treatments also that you can try at home to get rid of smelly feet. For these natural treatments you need some easily available ingredients from your kitchen and at the same time you do not have to worry much about the side effects.
Here are some of the natural treatments:
- Take corn flour and sprinkle it generously in your shoes and socks. Corn flour will able to absorb excess moisture and neutralize the bad odor.
- Also you can use tea bags to get rid of foot odor. The tannic acid present in tea helps to keep your feet dry and thus controls excessive sweating and odor. Take two tea bags and dip it in a bucket of water, and then soak your feet in this solution for about half an hour. Do this once daily for better result.
- White vinegar works like a disinfectant and controls the growth of bacteria that causes foot odor. Take half cup of white vinegar and mix it with half bucket of water and then soak your feet in it for several minutes. Instead of white vinegar you can also use apple cider vinegar.
- Baking soda produces an alkaline environment that kills bacteria and hence you can always use baking soda whenever you suffer from smelly feet.
- You can also your feet with salt. Salt water will reduce the moisture level of your feet and hence the problem of smelly feet will resolved. After taking your shower, soak your feet in a solution of warm salt water for ten minutes. Finally wipe it off with a towel and allow your feet dry fully before putting socks on.
- You can use ginger, radish and lemon juice to scrub your feet. These products will truly cleanse your feet and solve the problem of foot odor. Do this once or twice a week.
To conclude, with the above mentions tips and suggestions you can easily make your feet feel fresh, clean and odorless and you can flaunt them whenever you like. However, if the problem of foot odor has gotten out of control, then you must visit a podiatrist, a doctor who specializes in foot, lower leg and ankle care.