How to Get Rid of Tangles in Hair
Your beautiful lustrous locks can get tangled due to a number of factors like exposure to wind, friction with pillow and bed cover while sleeping, split ends, curled up ends, lack of hair care and combing, etc.
Besides, dry, rough strands of hair are more susceptible to tangles that cause hair damage and lead to breakage. Plus, you are more likely to have tangled hair if you have long hair.
When dealing with this problem, it is suggested to start combing your hair from the bottom and slowly work your way up.
It is best to use a wide-toothed comb for this task or simply run your fingers through your through your hair. Furthermore, take your hair section by section while detangling and comb at an angle of about 45 degrees to avoid friction.
How to Get Rid of Tangles in Hair
Given below are six solutions for getting tangle-free hair.
- Apply detangling sprays, serums and conditioners in you hair. They help soften your hair, close the cuticles, and hence, remove the tangles. For instance, you can use a hair conditioner and then, detangle your hair while taking a shower. In case there is a huge knot towards the back of your head, you may clip your hair up leaving the knot and apply a detangling product on it. Then, gently use a wide-toothed comb to pick at the knot and finally brush your hair. Do not use too much conditioner, though because product buildup due to conditioners, sebums, and so on makes your hair messy and give your hair a matted look.
- When dealing with single strand knots, you can simply cut them off by trimming the strand from the area directly above the knot. It is suggested not to leave them alone as they cause more tangling. Furthermore, attempts to unravel these knots usually create rough edges. In case you have severely tangled hair, consider going to a hairdresser who has specialized training in detangling hair.
- Oil your hair frequently with organic coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, and so on to get rid knots and tangles. To make this solution more effective, make sure you comb out all the knots.
- Prepare a homemade detangler by taking eight ounces of distilled water and adding one teaspoon each of aloe vera gel and glycerin, 10-15 drops of grapefruit seed extract and two drops of an essential oil of your choice in it.
- Boil a quarter cup of flax seeds in two cups of water on low heat for a few minutes until it starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and allow the solution to cool. Finally, strain it through a fine-mesh sieve and mix grapefruit seed extract in it. Spray this gel on your hair when trying to detangle your hair. If it becomes too thick then, you may add some water in it to get a better consistency.
- When struggling to remove knots and tangles in dry hair, rub a dryer sheet on your hair before combing, especially during the winter months to make it easier to untangle the knots.
Tips to Prevent Tangles in Hair
- The best way to avoid tangles is to oil your hair before shampooing and use a conditioner after washing. It moisturizes your hair and helps untangle the knots. Moreover, applying a good quality hair conditioner is useful in preventing staticky hair. Plus, comb your hair regularly. Besides, after washing your hair, do not rub the towel on your hair vigorously, just blot up the water on the scalp.
- Take a quart of warm water and add one teaspoon of honey and one tablespoon of lemon juice in it. Rinse your hair with this mixture to prevent tangles and maintain healthy hair.
- As far as possible, keep your hair tied up, like in a braid or bun. In addition, be careful while styling your hair.
- Trim your hair every six to eight weeks to remove spit ends from time to time.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do comb and detangle your hair before going to sleep. If possible, braid your hair, too||Do not pile your hair top while washing them.|
|Do use a satin covered pillow to avoid friction in hair.||Do not wet the tangles. In fact, do not comb wet hair as it is weak; rather, brush and comb semi-dry hair, that is, neither completely dry nor wet.|
|Do tie up your hair or least cover your lustrous locks with a head scarf to prevent knots and tangles when exposed to the wind.||Do not use heat and chemical treatments on your hair and they damage your lustrous locks and roughen the cuticles.|
|Do use a wide toothed comb for combing your tresses.||Do not rub your hair vigorously with a towel.|