How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are generally associated with pregnancy, but they can be caused by other reasons too.
For instance, they may develop due to changes in body size brought about by puberty, rapid weight gain or weight loss, gain in muscle mass, etc.
In addition, some individuals have a genetic tendency to develop stretch marks faster.
More often than not, they appear on the chest, stomach, upper arms, hips, thighs, and calves. The appearance of stretch marks, however, can vary slightly from one individual to another.
For instance, they appear as pale pink streaks or scars on fair-skinned individuals. On dark skin tones, they are fairly light. These marks usually take time to fade.
Moreover, it is difficult to diminish mature stretch marks. Therefore it is best to take steps to reduce stretch marks as soon as you notice them. Basically, they are scars on deeper layers of skin.
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Here are 10 ways to get rid of stretch marks.
- Cocoa Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Castor Oil
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Tretinoin Cream
- Dry Brushing
- Laser Therapy
- Rub cocoa butter on your skin.
- Massage for one minute or longer.
- Wrap the area in gauze to lock in the moisture.
- Repeat this two times a day for several months.
Cocoa butter is perhaps the most popular natural cure for stretch marks, even though it has not been proven scientifically.
- Mix coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Massage it into your skin.
- Repeat this regularly to improve the appearance of stretch marks.
Coconut oil is useful for healing stretch marks by restoring skin’s elasticity.
- Mix sufficient organic olive oil or aloe vera gel in coffee grounds to form a paste.
- Smear this paste on your stretch marks and leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment daily, at least for a few weeks.
It is believed that coffee grounds help reduce stretch marks.
Aloe Vera Gel
- Add the contents of vitamin A and/or vitamin E capsules to aloe vera gel.
- Massage the affected area with this mixture.
- Repeat this regularly for best results.
Aloe vera gel is helpful to reduce stretch marks. It also improves sunburn. Vitamin A and vitamin E enhance the effectiveness of this remedy.Vitamin A improves the elasticity of skin and vitamin E helps maintain soft, smooth, and healthy skin.
*You can create your own stretch mark cream by combining aloe vera gel, olive oil, and wheat germ oil.
- If too thick, add a little almond oil or olive oil to the castor oil.
- Massage the affected area with the oil.
- Place a hot pack on the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the oil to penetrate your skin.
Castor oil is a wonderful natural cure for stretch marks.
Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Apply grapefruit seed extract to the affected area.
- Massage for at least one minute.
- Repeat regularly for best results.
The application of grapefruit seed extract is considered effective in minimizing stretch marks because it helps generate elasticity and collagen for skin repair.
Tretinoin Cream (Retin-A)
- Apply as directed on product directions.
Using 0.1% tretinoin cream, like Retin-A to boost collagen productionis particularly good for fresh, rather than old, stretch marks. Tretinoin is basically an acid derivative of vitamin A.
- Use a soft, natural bristle brush.
- Brush the affected area briskly towards the heart for about 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat daily for best results.
This remedy’s benefits include reducing visible cellulite, detoxifying your body, removing dead skin cells, and helping you lose weight.
If the stretch marks are deep and nothing else works, you may consider laser treatment. There are usually two alternatives in this regard: vascular laser and laser resurfacing. You will have to discuss these options with your dermatologist. Alternately, you could try microdermabrasion.
Tips to Prevent Stretch Marks
- Keep your skin moisturized to avoid stretch marks.
- Apply a combination of castor oil, coconut oil, and olive oil on the abdominal area during pregnancy to prevent stretch marks considerably.
- Exercise is highly beneficial for preventing stretch marks because it improves circulation and helps the skin retain its elasticity.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do start the treatment for stretch marks as early as possible or else they can cause deep indentation.||Do not scratch the areas where you are likely to develop stretch marks.|
|Do drink plenty of water throughout the day as staying hydrated improves skin elasticity.||Do not expect the scars to disappear completely, unless you opt for surgery.|
|Do take a well-balanced, nutritious diet including judicious amount of vitamin C as it helps improve stretch marks. You may take an oral supplement, too.|