The best and most effective way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off. Nevertheless, there are certain ways to prevent and reduce split ends considerably.
Split ends, scientifically known as Trichoptilosis, are the result of damage to the cuticle layer of your hair.
This outer cuticle layer comprising dead protein cells protects the inner layers like cortex. Thus, when the cuticle layer is worn away, the inner fibers of the cortex layer split into two or even three parts.
Plus, split ends can even occur multiple times on the same strand. This is usually seen in long hair.
Split ends are generally the result of normal wear and tear of the hair. Moreover, factors like excessive brushing of hair, use of heat styling equipments (curling irons, flat irons, rollers, blow dryers), chemical treatments (dyes, relaxers), dry scalp, over-washing, environmental damage, and nutritional deficiencies contribute in causing this problem.
In addition, they look worse when the ends are curly, frizzy, or spiked. Contrary to the popular misconception though, split ends do not impede your natural hair growth.
How to Get Rid of Split Ends
Here are 8 solutions meant to minimize split ends by repairing damaged hair. Plus, you can remove occasional split ends by trimming them off with a pair of scissors.
- Olive Oil
- Milk and Cream
- Avocado Hair Mask
- Shine Serum
- Slightly heat olive oil in microwave for about 20 seconds. Then, deep condition your hair with this oil by massaging it onto your hair and scalp. Then, wrap your hair in a warm towel for about half an hour before shampooing your hair. Follow this treatment at least once a week. Apart from olive oil, you can also use a combination of one teaspoon each of olive oil, castor oil, and mustard oil.
- Simply rinsing your hair with a pint of beer, followed by water, is a great way to treat your split ends because it contains protein and sugar which help heal damaged hair follicles. To get rid of the lingering beer smell from your hair, you may shampoo your tresses afterwards.
- Applying mayonnaise on your hair, especially the ends, about two times in a week is highly beneficial in moisturizing your hair and resealing the ends naturally. Leave the mayonnaise on your hair for about an hour before washing it off.
- Peel and deseed half a papaya. Run it in a blender or food processor and add half a cup of plain yogurt in it to get a pureed mixture. Massage this hair pack on your hair. Wash it off after 30-45 minutes.
- Mix a tablespoon of heavy cream in half a cup of whole milk and rinse your hair with this solution, especially the scalp and hair tips. Leave it for about 15 minutes. Finally, rinse it out with water.
- Scoop out the pulp of an avocado. Mash it and add two tablespoons of egg white and three tablespoons of olive oil in it. Whip the mixture thoroughly until it becomes creamy in texture. Spread this avocado hair mask on your hair and leave it for at least 45 minutes to help reduce split ends and restore the silky texture of your tresses. Finally, rinse it out and clean your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Take about four tablespoons of honey and apply it on your split ends. You can also mix plain yogurt in honey. Leave it in your hair for about 20 minutes and then rinse it off to condition your hair and heal split ends.
- To make your split ends appear less noticeable, you may use a little shine serum on the ends to temporarily glue the split ends together. However, do not rely on these products to heal the problem.
Tips to Prevent Split Ends
- Taking a diet high in proteins benefits in preventing as well as curing split ends.
- Another common advice for avoiding split ends is to get your hair trimmed from time to time, at least every six to eight weeks.
- Avoid using heat treatment on your lustrous locks. If you still have to use a heating tool, make sure you apply a heat protectant spray on your hair beforehand. Moreover, when blow drying your hair then keep the dryer about four inches away from your hair.
Dos and Don’ts
|Do use a pair of sharp scissors to trim your split ends; dull scissors can worsen your split ends. Preferably, use hair shears rather than your regular paper scissors.
||Do not brush wet hair as it is likely to cause hair breakage and split ends.
|Do keep your hair moisturized.
||Do not rub your hair vigorously while towel drying.
|Do detangle your hair with wide toothed comb or simply your fingers as improper hair techniques can cause split ends.