It is believed that on an average, men tend to find their first gray hair around the age of 30. Women, on the other hand, are likely to find their first gray hair at about 35 years of age.
Most people, whether men or women, have a considerable amount of gray hair by the age of 50. Asian and Afro-American individuals usually go gray at a relatively later stage that is, around late 30s and mid 40s.
Basically, strands of hair turn gray when the body stops producing melanin pigment in the hair follicles as the melanocytes begin to die as your increasing age.
Hair color is primarily determined by the depth and concentration of this pigment. Thus, your hairs gradually grow grey or white. As this a normal process, graying of hair is considered as a telltale sign of aging.
A recent study suggests that an accumulation of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicles can cause the same. Moreover, premature graying is often associated with factors like stress, genetic predisposition, hormonal imbalance, poor diet, use of concentrated hair dyes, cigarette smoking, and so on.
Certain illnesses such as sinusitis, chronic cold, vitiligo, etc. can also cause this problem. Besides, premature graying of hair, along with hair thinning can be a symptom of thyroid disorder, too.
How to Get Rid of Premature Grey Hair
Although plucking your gray hair out may seem to be the easiest way to get rid of your premature gray hair, there are better solutions to help you deal with this problem.
- Hair Color
- Indian Gooseberry
- Black Tea
- Rosemary and Sage Tea
- Curry Leaves
- Ridge Gourd
- Ginger & Honey
- Using a hair color is the most common and obvious way to cover your grays. It is usually suggested to opt for a semi-permanent or demi-permanent hair color on your hair if your hair is just starting to turn grey. They last for about a few weeks and do not damage your hair. However, in cases where there is almost 45-50% graying, it is better to use a permanent hair color that goes well with your skin and hair tone. Plus, prefer to use natural or neutral hair colors that are closest to your original hair color.
- Indian gooseberry or amla is highly beneficial for reversing premature graying of hair. To prepare this remedy, you need to amla powder in coconut oil until the powder turns black. Cool and strain the solution. Finally, massage this oil on your hair and scalp on a regular basis. Amla powder can be purchased from a store or prepared at your home itself by drying fresh amla pieces in sunlight and eventually grinding them to get the powder. Besides, you can apply store-bought pure amla oil, a paste of amla powder and warm water, or a combination of equal parts of Indian gooseberry juice and almond oil to promote hair growth and eliminate grey hair. Furthermore, you can soak dried amla pieces in water overnight and use the solution as a last rinse after your hair wash. Plus, you may apply a tablespoon of amla pulp mixed with some lime juice and leave it overnight.
- Henna is also considered useful for getting rid of premature gray hair because it works as a natural hair colorant. Moreover, it makes your hair healthy and shiny. To use a henna hair recipe, you need to mix one cup each of henna powder and lemon juice or orange juice in a plastic container and close the lid. Leave it overnight. Next, mix half a cup each of indigo and water in it to get a yogurt-like consistency. Finally, apply this mixture on your hair, starting at the roots. Wash it off after two to three hours. Alternatively, you can use a mixture of two tablespoons of henna powder and a few drops of lemon juice in plain yogurt, enough to form a paste. Leave it on your hair for two hours before cleaning your hair with a shampoo. You can find details on how to use henna on your hair here.
- Make a cup of strong black tea without adding milk in it. Instead, mix a teaspoon of table salt in this solution and massage it on your hair. Wash it off after about an hour or so.
- Boil half a cup each of dried rosemary and sage leaves in two cups of water for half an hour. Let it steep for two to three hours before straining the mixture. Finally, rinse your hair with this solution 15-20 minutes before shampooing your hair. Follow this treatment regularly for a few months to get encouraging results.